Saturday, March 29, 2014

In these chapters I found many examples of social responsibility, one example is in chapter 16.  Huck is beginning to question if he should give Jim up. Huck decides he is going to since Jim belonged to a woman who was nothing but nice to him.  But Huck changes his mind when Jim says he is his only friend.  Here it can be seen the Huck it torn between what society believes is right and what he believes is right.  When he decides not to turn Jim in he is once again choosing his own judgment over society’s opinion.
                                                       
Another place that social responsibility can be seen is in the feud between the Grangerfords and the Shepherdsons.  From these people owning many slaves, to their responsibility to their families to hate the other family this situation is oozing with social responsibility.  There is also social responsibility tied between Huck and these families.  When Huck witnesses a gun fight between these families and does not tell anyone that he saw it he is once again going against his social responsibility in favor of his own judgment.  He is afraid and does not want to snitch. 
I believe that through this entire novel Huck is going to be struggling between his social responsibility to turn in Jim and his personal belief that he should allow Jim to escape and become free.
I was also thinking about the motivations Huck has for not turning in Jim.  While he said he was not turning him in because he said he was his only friend I believe Huck must have other reasons for not turning him in.  For example, could he be trying to be the opposite of his father?  Huck is afraid of his father, and could possibly be afraid of becoming his father.  By not turning in Jim is he attempting to be the opposite of his dad?

If anyone has other ideas please share them in your comment!  Looking forward to reading the comments.

5 comments:

stw923 said...

Great job!

Unknown said...

I think you brought up a good point when you talked about the motivations Huck might have about not turning in Jim. In the earlier chapters Huck when against his fathers wants by becoming educated and smarter than his own Dad. I also see it as Huck breaking out of normal social obligations and I think he will continue to do go against them more and more throughout the novel.

Unknown said...

I like how you brought up Huck's repeated rebellion against society. Huck is definitely becoming his own person and obviously independent. At such a young age, too! (Did they ever say his age? I forgot, but I picture him as like 10-11ish). Huck is really open to new ideas to me, but I think he's such a contradictory character as well. In some of the phrasing in the story I have the feeling that he doesn't even know society is affecting him sometimes. Its really interesting to me to see this occurrence when you aren't the actual narrator. I also thought of a motive for why Huck didn't turn in Jim. I think Huck has a reason for Jim to be around. Huck is a smart kid and I think maybe he might have use of Jim.

Unknown said...

Couldnt have said it better than Rita. I also believe Huck refuses to be like his father let alone society itself.His slight innocence due to his age allows him to see people for people over the actual racial problems that exist . Most likely why he doesnt follow his social responsibility

Unknown said...

Couldnt have said it better than Rita. I also believe Huck refuses to be like his father let alone society itself.His slight innocence due to his age allows him to see people for people over the actual racial problems that exist . Most likely why he doesnt follow his social responsibility